I have been trying to come up with some beliefs about anatomy, physiology, and surgery that I held before I knew any better.
Here's what I have so far.....
If the bowel is eviscerated (small bowel) all of those slippery loops MUST go back into the abdomen and lay EXACTLY as they had before they came out.
If your appendix bursts, you will die within the hour.
Here are some things I recently discovered....
The reason they tell you in high school health class not to pop pimples in the danger zone, or "triangle of death" the triangle from either side of your upper lip to an apex at the bridge of your nose, is because the nasty stuff inside the pimple might travel backwards eventually reaching your sinuses, instead of shooting across the room. Sinuses are the front door to your brain.
It took me five years to suddenly realize what was meant by a loop ostomy.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
A friend of mine believed that the urinary bladder was situated inside the scrotum, until being exposed to the truth at age 25!
When I asked him if he had given any thought to where he felt the pressure when he had to pee, he just looked very puzzled :)
It's funny how we pick up misbeliefs along the way!
Post a Comment