Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ski Season

Ahhh, ski season. The season of broken femurs and severe head injuries, sometimes on the same patient. Broken ankles, wrists, pelvic fractures, and broken spines from C2 all the way to the tip of your coccyx. Trees and rocks and cliffs are so unforgiving.
Horses get a bad rap for being DANGEROUS creatures. I've taken more spills off of a horse than I can count on two hands, I know, doesn't say much for my riding ability, but in my defense I've ridden everything from barely broke Mustangs to horses who were just plain clumsy, and I have never had a broken bone or a head injury. Thank goodness.
You may think I look forward to ski season being a surgery junkie and all, but I actually find it to be a rather sad time of year. It's sad when teenage snowboarders come in with a traumatic head injuries, or a 40 something year-old comes in as a quadriplegic and has to be maintained on a vent.
I guess every one's gotta have a hobby, and maybe I am extremely lucky so far, but I think I'll stick to horses and leave the snowy mountains to those of you who don't fear it.

3 comments:

Kelley said...

This post is funny, because at the moment I'm trying to talk my husband into going skiing, and he keeps saying "skiers keep me in business, the last thing I need to do is keep someone else in business" (he's an orthopedic rep). I've been trying to explain that it's much safer if you stick to the easy hills, but he's not buying it. Speaking of which, he's doing bilateral clavicles on a skier at the moment!

make mine trauma said...

Ouch, that sounds painful! So who won the debate? Isn't the bunny hill the only truly safe hill?

Kelley said...

I won, of course! The trauma of disappointing me is much more dangerous than the trauma of a broken bone!