Last Saturday I was in call with one of my Ortho Docs. Things had been pretty quiet, and my horses were nervously eyeing the last lonely flake of hay on the flatbed, wondering if there was going to be anything for supper that evening. I found a decent deal on hay but had to travel 60 miles one way to pick it up. I was going to pay for an over priced bale or two at the local feed store to get me by for a couple of days until I wasn't on call, but then I realized that I was on call every day until the following Saturday so I was gonna just have to take my chances. I sent the following text to my surgeon; "On my way to "Timbuktu" to get a load of hay. I should be available again by 1900, and also tomorrow morning" I received a text back confirming ok, thanks, and I was on my way.Sunday morning at 8:00 he sent me a text asking me to help him on 6 cases starting at 0930. The anesthesiologist for the day was one that I had worked with quite extensively when I used to scrub for the Gyn-Onc surgeon. Into the second case he asked me how much hay I got. I told him, and didn't think anything of it. After about the third conversation about hay, I asked him how he knew I had gone to get hay. Oh I just had a feeling, he says. I said nuh-uh. Then he admitted, a text message was read to the room yesterday that you were on your way to get hay. ! Yikes ! Not that it was a private message, nor would I ever send anything embarrassing or compromising over a text, but I send texts thinking that if the surgeon is scrubbed in, they won't feel compelled to answer the interruption as they would a page or ringing phone, and will check the message after the case. So, now I know.

No comments:
Post a Comment