Saturday, February 2, 2008

I can do that in my sleep......


Another week has flown by. I had an awesome, very busy week. Almost like old times. Scheduled cases all day, trauma all night.

Sunday night, just as I was getting ready to go to bed around 11:30, my phone rang and off I went to the hospital. Assisted the trauma surgeon until 0330 Monday morning. Then another trauma surgeon who happened to be on ER (general surgery) call that night, asked me if I wanted to help him on his two cases to follow. He and I both had cases that morning at 0730. We got done just in time to head off to other hospitals.

I had five ortho cases to assist on Monday. That evening I got home around four thirty. I fixed myself a grilled cheese sandwhich and some tomato soup, one of my favorite gourmet combinations. I settled into the recliner with my food, a warm fuzzy blanket and the cat. Next thing I know, I am trying to aspirate a mouthful of grilled cheese! What the hell! Seems I was so tired that I actually fell asleep mid-chew. As if that wasn't enough, I did it twice. I finally decided I was more tired than hungry and gave up on the food.

7 comments:

rlbates said...

And to think you drove home that tired! Glad you made it safely.

make mine trauma said...

Thank you. I make my vehicle as uncomfortable as I can on those trips. I was actually fine until I hit the recliner!

adventures in disaster said...

forget the NSAIDS and move to tramadol XL. After four years of every dug known to medicine including hard core narcotics my doc laughingly tried Tramadol..it worked.
I have been on gabapentin ever since my accident and once tried Lyrica but because I am always in that tiny percent that gets only the most obscure side effects I got open sores all over my arms and legs and had to give it up.
Tramadol works on the same pathways at gabapentin..it's great for the neuro pain.

Bongi said...

when i used to drive home in a state of total exhaustion i had to stay awake because the trees on the side of the road would quite often run across the road. hell i often nearly hit them. keeps one alert though.

rlbates said...

Damn those unruly trees!

make mine trauma said...

A.I.D.
Thanks for the advice. I hope I never have that pain again and I 'm not so sure the lyrica did anything anyway.

Bongi
Thank goodness trees aren't a factor here. Too many trees make me claustrophopic anyway. You don't have to drive home exhausted anymore?

Bongi said...

still do, but much less. maybe the trees in nelspruit are just better behaved??