I recently (okay, not so recently. I apologize for the delayed response J.B.), received an email asking my advice on becoming a Surgical Technologist and if I thought that it was a good career choice on the path to becoming a doctor. As I was typing away my reply in gmail, I thought that this might make a good post for anybody else who may be wondering the same thing. I also encourage any tech students or prospective students to feel free to ask me any questions they may have relating to the field. While names will not be revealed, I may post the question and response so if you don't want it to be posted, let me know when you email me.
I have precepted my share of students and always enjoy teaching. I see so many "experienced" RN's and Techs do things that are not acceptable. Sterile technique is one of my biggest pet peeves and I am not above chastising a circulating nurse for breaking rules. Oh, but that is a rant for another day. On to the answer.......
"Is Surgical Technology a good career to get into on the path to becoming a doctor? "
I think becoming an ST is an excellent path to MD. I know of several surgeons today that held various positions in the OR while going to school on their path to becoming a doctor. Some were orderlies, some were techs, transporters, etc. I understand that having a job in a hospital and more specifically, in a patient care area, such as transport, ER tech, OR tech, to name a few, is beneficial for students on any path to medicine whether it be nursing school or beyond. I am told It looks good on your application and it helps you get accepted.
The nice things about being a surgical tech, at least the things I found great about it, are hands on experience with patients, the camaraderie of the OR, feeling the pride of being on a professional OR team, the chance to be immersed in the entire surgical process, and a not so bad paycheck. You will read about anatomy and study the pretty colored pictures in the anatomy book, but you won't fully understand anatomy until you look inside the real human body. If you simply listen to those around you, especially conversations between the surgeon and the anesthetist, you will learn a lot. What you don't understand, ask or look it up. I have yet to find a surgeon who isn't willing to teach someone who is eager to learn. I find it rewarding when I am research something, and then within a few days actually see it come to life in the OR. If you truly want to learn and you are motivated, as a surgical tech you will be in the best classroom in the world and, you are getting paid to be there!
The drawbacks as an ST might be taking call, working holidays, too rigid of a schedule for working around your school hours (be sure to discuss this with the local hospitals you may work for after graduation), and having to live within call distance of the hospital you will work in. Call response time is sometimes fifteen minutes but more typically half an hour.
If you choose to become a surg tech, you will know almost immediately whether or not it is for you when you begin your clinical rotations. This is the point where many students realize the full extent of their future job requirements. I will say that you should have a tough skin and not let things that people say get to you. You will probably get yelled at more than once and it may very well be by the surgeon. The mistake is to take it personally. Don't argue, listen. If you are being yelled at, there is probably a lesson to be learned. If you still have an issue or feel you were attacked unjustly, take it up with the offender after the case.
You may find the sights, smells, sounds, and sometimes the conversation of the OR to be offensive. If your clinical site is at a very busy hospital, you may find that standing for eight to ten hours a day is very tiring. Your feet may burn, and your legs may ache, but the good news is, you get used to it!
Surgical Technology can be a very demanding career, but it can also be very rewarding.
Thank you for the question, J.B. I hope that my response was of some help. Feel free to contact me anytime should you have more questions, and good luck to you in whatever path you choose.
MMT
makeminetrauma@gmail.com
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Thank you for your insights into Surgical Technology. I will start matriculating as a ST student this Wednesday, 4/16, at Miller-Motte College and will graduate with an Associate Degree in Surgical Technology 1/13/10. I am very excited and anxious to not only start my classes (I'm 41 and starting college again after graduating with a B.S. Degree 20 years ago), but can't wait to be a part of the O.R. I currently work in an ENT for 3 1/2 years as an Admin Asst to the physicians and audiology staff, knowing that one day I wanted to enter the ST field. I just wanted to explore some, and after years of waiting...I finally said "Just do it!" and glad the DH is behind me; otherwise, I would have done it anyway :) There is nothing like the NOW to begin a love affair career as a ST. I can't wait to be certified! I also love your blog, and look forward to reading more blog entries :)
Thank you for your insights into the field and this blog!
~ Donna
Donna, congratulations on starting a new career! Feel free to contact me at any time. I love the OR and can't imagine my life without it. At least for the next 20 years or so.
Post a Comment