Assisted on a femoral rodding. Young motorcross participant.......had angry, red residual tire marks across his chest!
Cartoon caption:
Surgeon explaining to post -op appendectomy patient,.
"Your insurance only pays 80% of my fee so I only removed 80% of your appendix."
If a surgeon doesn't get paid for performing an operation, how about you get to put the offending organ, appendix, gallbladder, perfed colon, back in? You don't have to reattach it, just open the abdomen and throw it back in there.
Another cartoon. Patient is on gurney outside of the OR doors, swiping a credit card through a debit machine that requests you enter the surgical procedure. No credit card approval, no entry.
I'm on call day three, out of (at least) six in a row, with approximately 11 hours sleep since Thursday which have consisted of sporadic naps 1 to 3 hours in duration. While compiling this blog entry in my overly warm office, I seem to have mastered the Zen art of sleeping bolt upright in an office chair. Hey, it was worth another hour of nap time.
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I just had a trauma surgery, my first time in the hospital as an adult (had my tonsils out as a child). Very scary. Hadn't a clue how hospitals function. Didn't have a primary, hadn't seen a doctor for anything in over fifteen years. But the surgeon was fantastic. His was the first bill I got when I got home and I paid it immediately in full (those savings for an emergency!), as well as every bill that came in. I was astonished at the number of them, but I know they all played their part. The surgeon was excellent, I trusted him and he was very respectful. I've lived too long to consider any human infallible and I do know mistakes can happen anywhere. I felt very fortunate in the good care received.
anon
I'm sorry that you were involved in a trauma and required surgery, but I am happy that you received good care. I also apologize for not making a more prompt reply. I have been working a lot these last two weeks!
It has been my experience with trauma surgeons that they are very good at what they do. I can only speak from my observation, but I beleive it takes a special breed for trauma. Seems one either hates it or loves it.
At the local trauma center there are nine trauma surgeons. I would not hesitate to have any one of them operate on me or my loved ones.
Very wise of you to have some savings for emergency! You can be sure that all involved do appreciate payment.
MMT
Post a Comment